One of the most highly skilled professions in the home building industry is architecture. These professionals can help you implement the details that you desire for your home. They will draw up plans and make a list with specifications for materials. An architect can supervise the construction of your home. An architect can also be a great resource for other home-building professionals because they often have a network of craftsmen, contractors, and others that they have worked with.
Building engineers can provide guidance and assistance if you require significant structural changes to an existing building. A building engineer will generally release stamped structural plans and architectural plans.
Although they are often responsible for the technical planning of plans created by engineers or architects, draftsmen can also assist with the actual design. The draftsmen can also be referred to as nurses if the architect is your doctor. Draftsmen are now using Computer Aided Drafting programs (CAD) thanks to the advancement of technology. You can hire a draftsman to create the blueprints if you feel you have a solid plan for your home renovation. These plans must be reviewed by an engineer or architect before you hire a contractor to begin construction.
As the name suggests, interior designers specialize in designing your home’s interior. They are skilled in combining space, design, and style to create beautiful living spaces. An interior designer can help you focus on a specific area of your house. Interior design does not have to be about color or furniture type. It’s also about how functional your living space is.
Home contractors manage and supervise the home renovations of other contractors, including those who are skilled in masonry, plumbing, electric installations, and interior design. You need to find licensed home contractors when you are looking for them. While most home contractors are skilled in building new homes, some contractors specialize in home renovation.
Interior Decor Specialists
The Home Decor Specialists provide expert guidance and advice on furniture, wallpaper, themes, styles, and overall interior design. The home decor specialist can help you save time and money by narrowing down your options when shopping for furniture, accessories, bedding, and other home additions.
Many people want to build their own homes but aren’t aware of all the options available. Before building our home, we did extensive research. To help you build your home, I will briefly mention some of these options.
A Home Building Service, also known as an Owner Builder, offers services to assist you in building your new home. These services include services you might not be able to find or organize on your own.
These services often offer a range of items in various packages and charge for them. These charges may include a flat fee per square foot, fees for plans and financing through a third-party bank, and many other services. I have included a few below. Naturally, they make a profit from every item or service that you use.
These Home Building services may include:
- They also provide pre-drawn (canned) house plans as part of their overall package.
- Revisions or custom house plans are available. Sometimes, the program may charge extra or limit how many revisions you can make.
- Assistance with financing your home-building project. These services are usually offered by a third-party bank, which acts as mortgage brokers. If you have credit problems, you can leverage more with them to get home-building financing. Because they often get a commission for referring you to that bank, they have a financial incentive to ensure your loan goes through. Although you will pay, this could be the way that you get a loan.
- A directory of qualified home builders in your area. These services often offer a list of qualified contractors you can hire to help you complete different phases of building your new home. Although they may offer a list, these services do not guarantee the quality or competence of any contractors. It’s up to you and the contractor. Legally, you can solve the problem yourself.
- You will need planning and literature to help you build your house. These could include a DIY guide for first-time home builders, financing literature, etc.
- Guidance for the first home builder. This could include meeting with a qualified builder/building advisor to help plan your project and lay out all the details.
- Assistance during the entire home-building process. Most owner builders offer some support during the construction process. It can be phone support, email support, or both.
If you’re considering using an owner-builder, I encourage you to check out my article Selecting and Using the Right Owner Builder Service.
For more detailed manuals and advice about this topic, please see U-Way Bright Homes.