A Homeowner’s Guide on the Common Causes of House Fires

A Homeowner’s Guide on the Common Causes of House Fires

While some fire causes may seem obvious, this should not make anyone neglectful. It’s always important to be mindful and proactive in preventing them. Guaranteeing your smoke alarm is preserved and tested every month is one way to keep the fire damage minimum.

However, finding out what triggers or switches on these alarms can help you focus on what you should watch out for and guarantee the safety of your loved ones. Now, let’s know the leading causes of home fires.

Top Five Fire Hazards in Houses

Most house fires could be unpredictable, but they could still be prevented with appropriate procedures. Below are five common fire hazards we have gathered and some preventive actions you can take.

1. Smoke alarms

Individuals die yearly due to faulty smoke detectors that don’t activate when a fire breaks out. This might have occurred because their batteries have gone out or been taken out to avoid false alarms, or the detector remains in an area where dwellers can’t hear the sound. Guaranteeing your smoke alarm is routinely sustained is important for it to work if an accidental fire breaks out.

2. House appliances

Damaged sockets that are poorly grounded or defective electric outlets (Receptacles) are mostly the cause of most electrical fires. When switches and outlets age, their wirings wear and weaken. Over time, this can result in torn and even potentially inflammable wires.

Home fires created by appliances are a common scenario. However, hiring a damage restoration professional after a fire is important, especially if the fire caused considerable damage to your residence. This ensures no damage will occur after the disaster, preserving your home and protecting you and your family.

3. Space heaters

Because energy prices continue to go up, more residents rely on supplemental heating. While space heaters can keep your home cozy and warm, they also contain hidden dangers. More individuals depend on supplemental heating sources during the fall and winter seasons to stay warm and keep the chill away.

However, space heaters can also produce fire through nearby objects. When using one, keep it one meter far from draperies, home furniture, beddings, stuffed toys, and clothes as they can potentially catch fire. Otherwise, you might need to call a remediation firm to repair and clean your home after a fire.

4. Cooking fires

An unattended stove can cause a fire if drapes or towels are left hanging too close. According to the statistical reports, 23% of home fires are triggered by cooking fires, and 9% are deaths. Without anyone nearby to quench the fire, the grease in the frying pan can ignite a cabinet’s contents or any nearby flammable things.

While we might presume molds are only related to water damage, they can still appear after a fire situation. Fires in homes quenched by water can produce excess moisture that can lead to mold development. When you see indications of mold development days after a fire scenario, have a mold removal Key Biscayne professional come by promptly to safely remove it.

5. Candles

While they may look pretty and smell good, candles can quickly set a room ablaze if left unattended. They shouldn’t be put near anything that might easily catch fire, like books, documents, or tissue boxes. Always extinguish a burning candle before leaving a room to ensure no fire will break out later on.

Johnny Smith